POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : quick weathering-distressing test [240 kb] : quick weathering-distressing test [240 kb] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  quick weathering-distressing test [240 kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 11 Mar 2009 22:43:51
Message: <49b876e7@news.povray.org>
Of passing interest...

I quick first try at weathering/distressing by differencing from a
figure's surface using Bill Pragnell's 'Encase' macro. The macro
distributes objects evenly but randomly across another objects surface.

The first example shows Bill's macro called four times with each pass
adding to the distressed surface from the previous pass.  The
differenced ojects are randomly scaled spheres with the spheres from
each pass grouped in a separate union block before being differenced.
With basic radiosity, one light, and no aa the render took 1h 15m.

In the second example I used an adjusted version of the macro to
difference blob components.  Again the macro was called four times but
each time against the original figure, with the components from all four
passes collected in the same blob before differencing. The render took
3m 6s.

In the third example I again use blobs but, (similar to the spheres
example,) each call of the macro creates a separate blob which is
differenced from the figure before the subsequent pass.  3m 35s.

The results are not immediately what I need, but I thought these tests
might interest some of you.

The targeted 'figure' for distressing is a mesh2 component from my
Corinthian capital model, one of the acanthus sprigs.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ruins.2014.jpg' (77 KB) Download 'ruins.2015.jpg' (68 KB) Download 'ruins.2016.jpg' (73 KB)

Preview of image 'ruins.2014.jpg'
ruins.2014.jpg

Preview of image 'ruins.2015.jpg'
ruins.2015.jpg